Reply to post:

I wish I'd leaked sooner says Edward Snowden in post-Oscar chinwag

Graham Cobb Silver badge

I really don't think anyone cares about their privacy, except in very generalized terms.

There is some truth in that. Somehow we need to convince the man in the street that he needs to care about other people's privacy. He may not be particularly worried about himself being monitored -- the issue is that there are people for whom it does matter a great deal. And many of those could be him under some slightly different circumstances in the future.

As well as the obvious cases like lawyers and journalists, there are the abused wife trying to avoid being tracked down by her policeman husband, the fracking/animal rights/anti-abortion/insert-favourite-left-or-right-wing-cause-here protester trying to prevent the police "randomly" stopping and searching them, the social pot smoker trying to avoid being refused a job.

But there are also cases of complete innocents who could be our punter tomorrow: the person who uses a local plumber who also does business with a someone who turns out to be criminal, the school governor who serves on a committee with a local cleric who turns out to be a radical, the jogger who regularly runs near where someone was attacked, etc. All these innocent people should be protected from harassment and suspicion (and demands to "prove" their innocence) unless there is some actual reason to suspect them.

I don't know how to do it, but we need the man in the street to realize the issue is not their own privacy but that a free society needs other people's privacy protected.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon