Reply to post:

Euro broadcast industry still in a fug over that 4K-ing UHD telly

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'd like to say that one one watches TV for the quality of the picture but I actually know someone that does*. I don't see much point in a 4K TV, in fact I barely see much point in a 1080p. The only (legitimate) source that I can think of that can deliver the sort of bandwidth necessary to produce a picture that pushes a 1080p display to it's limit is blu-ray and even that isn't completely true for action rich scenes. If you look at "HD" content from any streaming source, satellite, through the air the quality is so low you might as well be watching 720p or less for some of the highly compressed channels. Unless they can invent some more bandwidth (or cut out the rubbish) there's no point in 4K.

* He's wasted a ton of money buying old films on blu-ray and getting 4k equipment etc etc but it's clear the blu-ray version of most of the old films is just the same as the DVD scan. Possibly with a static side by side comparison you could see a difference but once things are moving it all looks the same.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon