Reply to post: Re: Does anybody know a free program

Superfish: Lenovo ditches adware, but that doesn't fix SSL megavuln – researcher

Tom 13

Re: Does anybody know a free program

I've generally had good luck with Malware Bytes Anti-Malware.

Just this week I had to clean up a Lenovo consumer laptop that was malware infested and used it. I think the source was Tovi (Trovi?) Toolbar*, but hadn't seen the news about SuperFish at the time. So I don't know if the bad cert was on it. Unfortunately I already returned it to the owner so I can't check the cert list. I did notify the user when I saw the Reg article about the problematic cert.

*Nasty little bugger. Kept popping up ads no matter which installed browser I used. Couldn't get to the malware byte site. Downloaded on a different computer, copied to USB, infected PC wouldn't read the drive. Finally burned it to a CD and installed it that way. The scan found 400+ instances of questionable stuff. Deleted it all. System was returned fully patched, malware bytes installed, Secunia PSI installed to make sure her other software is updated. And I suggested she stop by at least once a quarter to make sure the patches have been installed. She uses her cell for internet connectivity while I have broadband.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon