Reply to post: Re: add 1000% TAX on all hardware and software from US (and UK) companies

Have YOU got Equation NSAware in your drives? Meh, not really our concern, says EU

Robert Helpmann??
Childcatcher

Re: add 1000% TAX on all hardware and software from US (and UK) companies

Where did I ignore that other countries are doing the same thing?

So perhaps "ignore" is not the most accurate of terms. Perhaps "omit" would better fit.

...more to the point, since when is "they do it, so it's okay for me to do it" a legitimate rationale?

Rather I was pointing out that focusing on one bad actor to the exclusion of others would seem to give the rest a free pass. So, sorry for the misunderstanding, but the intention was precisely the opposite of that.

What are you, two years old?

Moving on...

And you don't get to invoke Godwin's law. Godwin's law only applies when the comparison is not justified. It's perfectly justified in this case.

OK, so I am guilty of trolling you a bit...but no, it applies simply based on the perception of hyperbole. From my perspective, once the comparison is made, most people look at it as simple hyperbole and ignore the rest - whether or not it is accurate. If you just throw out a statement and expect everyone to follow you with nothing more than your say-so, you will only be drawing people who already believe what you are saying, not convincing anyone of its veracity. You are quite capable of making cogent and well-reasoned arguments, whether or not we agree. More of that, please.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon