Reply to post: @crayon - rebooting after network change

Linux kernel set to get live patching in release 3.20

tiger99

@crayon - rebooting after network change

Yes, I have always wondered about that. Considering how M$ originally were too inept to write their own TCP/IP stack, and borrowed it from xBSD (no problem with that, at least they got some good code), and how, as far as I have seen, no version of xBSD, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris or anything vaguely UNIX-related, needs a reboot after changing network settings, I have to wonder how they managed to achieve this absurdity. Perhaps the ever-incompetent Billy-boy was "illegally commingling" * the code again? As always, enquiring minds need to know...

At least one example of this remains, apart from the original IE abomination, and that is some "Telephony" service which when killed also kills networking. There are probably umpteen more spurious and inappropriate dependencies in Windoze.

* (illegally commingling is a quote from the judge in the Monopoly trial, and relates to the practice being "illegal" in properly constructed software. The judge did NOT say that it was illegal in the way that law works in his courtroom, but it was a wonderfully succinct way of saying what he thought about the coding practices at M$.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon