Reply to post: Re: Over a barrel. @AC

Got $600 for every Win Server 2003 box you're running? Uh-oh

Hans 1

Re: Over a barrel. @AC

> You have to use kludges like SUDO - which must at least initially execute as ROOT. This is a massive fail. With Windows though you can allocate JUST the rights needed on a fully granular basis.

Ever heard of UNIX ACL's ? Thought not.

Besides, you do not necessarily have to use sudo, you can use su, you know ? I do not understand your issue with sudo INITIALLY running as ROOT ... do you even know what sudo does ? Go read up on sudoers file, you can adapt it quite some bit, how can you do that one windows ?

>Quite - so much more difficult to support if you are installing 3rd party packages, and of course you have to install (compile?!) and configure the product.

I cannot remember the last time I was obliged to compile some 3rdparty app ... must be 7 or 8 years - and I use Linux on my primary workstation. I know kernel modules need to be recompiled when a new kernel is installed and the system rebooted, but that happens "transparently".

There are quite a few apps in my app repositories, like Java, mysql, postgres etc, etc, etc that I can install in a few clicks as well, however, no "Goto google > type app name > skip ads > locate website > locate download section > locate correct platform/bittiness > find download button, no, really watch out here, there are 5 on this screen > wait, wait, wait > execute file > Next > untick unwanted toolbars and/or adware > Next > untick startup when system starts > untick litter my desktop > reboot > done" bullshit ... for me it is just "Software (link on my dock/panel) > fill app name > click install > wait, wait, wait > done".

Actually, that is for mom and pop, I use aliases ..." $ get [app_name] > wait, wait, wait > done."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon