Reply to post: Re: FOSS for all...

£100 MILLION poured down drain on failed UK.gov IT projects - in just ONE YEAR

phil dude
IT Angle

Re: FOSS for all...

Thank you for expanding on the subject.

My point about FOSS is not really about the licensing aspect, it is about the huge amount of $$ that seem to do DAMN all to raise the boat for everyone.

So start with a mandate that NO non-FOSS software can be used AT ALL, within a useful time frame, if no alternative exists.

That way we can start to fund the "add feature X" to "program Y" for the use of "project Z" to bridge the gap.

These are called deliverables/milestones. We have them on grants, if we don't meet them we don't get year 2.

There are complex scientific problems that take decades to solve. Databases, Websites, CRM, Office Tools, etc... are solved problems. Solutions exist. The common infrastructure should be an evolving, adapting bedrock for all other projects to use. I am NOT saying that big corps can't be useful.

Your point about moving the "license cost" into another column, however is spot on the problem.

Gravy trains are defined by overly general, poor project specification and opaque review criteria - surely these problems can be solved?

How does Apple get a product to market including hardware and software and used by millions?

P.

PS this is a rant, because I had to use the Healthcare.gov and it is an example of $300 million that could probably done with $3 million.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon