Reply to post:

HELP! Windows Phone update 8.1 broke my Lumia

dogged
Windows

I had a look at the "massive thread". There are over 700 posts on it and that's impressive. What's rather less impressive is that right at the top there's a button you can press to indicate that you too have this problem and want it solved. It also shows a counter of how many people have the problem.

Now, I know that will come as heartbreaking news to that AC who always asks how all four Windows Phone users will react to any Windows Phone article the Reg decides to run but he's a prick so let's concentrate on the actual number. Thanks for the downvote, AC!

The thread may contain other posters who did not click the button but I removed all posts from the OP and that took it down to 644 - he's certainly been posting a lot. I then removed all posts from MS staffers (they are clearly identified) and got the total down to 481. At a rough estimate, about half the remaining posts are from people trying to be helpful so let's say we're at 250, being generous.

So the total is somewhere between 223 and 250.

Obviously, this issue may affect many more people than just those posting in this single forum thread so I took a quick shufti at windowscentral.com (previously wpcentral.com) where I did find this (related - http://www.windowscentral.com/struggling-lumia-925-lumia-1020-freezes-microsoft-will-soon-release-fix) and scrolling through the comments indicates that maybe 1/10 of their commentards have experienced the issue although this may overlap with the reported numbers on the official forum. The thread s 420 comments but many are multiple posts by the same commentards.

So what we know for sure is that it affects some 1020s but by no means all - wpcentral indicates less than a quarter of 1020 owners commenting experience the bug) and some 925s but those are rarer so it's much harder to get an idea of the scale.

None of the other x20 series seem to be affected and none of the newer x30 and x35 series.

So, about that WINDOWS PHONE DOOMED THERE IS A BUG MS DON'T CARE ALL THEIR USERS ARE LEAVING IN DROVES article....

Not so much, really.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon