Reply to post: Re: A few words of Interview advice

Over 50? Out of work? Watch out because IT is about to eat itself

LucreLout

Re: A few words of Interview advice

It wasn't a mistake to retire. I discovered that, having pushed money into pension schemes and investments and generally forgotten about them, I was a lot better off than I thought.

That's the part which worries me the most.

I too have pushed money into pension plans to cover retirement, but the government has increased the minimum age at which I can take a private pension from 50 to 55, then on to 57, and it will almost certainly be 60 within a few years.

If I cannot work from say 50ish, due to ageism, then how do I get by for those 10 years? Having ££££££s locked up that I can't touch until some arbitrary age isn't going to feed my family or pay the mortgage.

I'm pretty much up to date in my current main language (C#), and have cross-trained into Java & android development. I'm adding Oracle to the database side, complimenting SQL Server which I usually work with. I do something like 500 hours of professional development a year, so would think my skills are as cutting edge as they're getting, but it'd be nice if the government would stop increasing the personal pension retirement age.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon