Reply to post: Re: "Although there are numerous legitimate reasons to have a Swiss bank account"

World's mega-rich tax dodge exposed: Meet the HSBC IT bloke at the heart of damning leak

Squander Two

Re: "Although there are numerous legitimate reasons to have a Swiss bank account"

Friend of mine lives and works in Switzerland. She's British. I assume she has a Swiss bank account, just as my American friend who lives in the UK has a British bank account. None of this strikes me as suspicious.

Then there are the people who travel around the world a lot, such as oil rig workers, NGOs that help build infrastructure in the developing world, etc. They need one central point to keep their money whence it can be readily accessed internationally.

Then there are entities who trade on international currency markets, who might well have a Swiss bank account for the obvious purpose of keeping their Swiss francs in, just as they maintain American accounts for keeping dollars in, Japanese accounts for keeping Yen in, etc.

There are lots of people in the world whose lives aren't like yours. They're not all criminals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon