Reply to post: Re: All ages suffer in rural digital dark ages

Get internet access to those POOR country bumpkins, says UK.gov

BongoJoe

Re: All ages suffer in rural digital dark ages

Well, saying that being rural is our lifestyle choice and we shouldn't ask you to subsidise it doesn't really work after a moment's worth of thought.

Admittedly I don't need to be in a city or a large town somewhere where you'd have me live because I don't farm. If this were the case then two immediate problems would occur.

First is that the demand for properties in the towns and cities would rise and so would the cost of living there. Secondly, now there's fewer people out in the country then services would be more expensive per head.

So rather than foist these extra costs onto those living in the towns and cities it would perhaps be better if more services could be introduced into the country so that more people could live there and work there. this would mean less strain on the infrastructure as fewer people would need to work in the few large commercial centres of the country. And who knows, the city dweller's life may even be improved as he can get a seat on the train into London Waterloo every morning.

The ideal would be have more people out in the country with proper services and not enforce them to move to the towns and cities which are overcrowded already.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon