Reply to post: It had better be optional...@nematoad have an upvote!

BMW: ADMEN have asked us for YOUR connected car DATA

Dan Paul

It had better be optional...@nematoad have an upvote!

I'm a fellow Dinosaur and I don't agree with the concept of a connected car either. It had better be an option, just like the dongle that you can choose (so far) to have installed that rats you out to the insurance agency for high acceleration/deceleration. The insurance agency is only the tip of the iceberg, what about the state or federal governments, the banks, manufacturers etc? They could all make your life pretty miserable if they wanted to. Besides tracking your movements, they can disable the vehicle anytime they want. I will not buy a car with OnStar or any other similar system. I am already "connected" as much as I care to be.

The other problem is that the more complex the manufacturers make their products, the more that will go wrong with them. They DON"T care because it raises profits for the dealer and the manufacturers.

I grow wistful for that old '59 Ford Fairlane with the six cylinder I had years ago that had enough room under the hood to smuggle 5 people into the drive in (let alone the trunk). It was easy to fix because it was easy to understand and you did not need to drop the engine to change the plugs or the headlight bulbs because they left ROOM to work on it. Almost like the engineers knew what they were doing back then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon