Reply to post: Aaah memories

So, these guys turn up with AK47s and offer me protection ...

Spotfist

Aaah memories

Misspent my youth in the good old SA and have also pretty much done all the "don't do" items in this read, always had to go and buy booze from the shebeens, and the beer was always cheaper in the locations lol being white I kind of stuck out a bit but leave the staff a tip and it actually wasn't too bad (during the day that is) I have been to some REALLY bad places though where I honestly though, WTF am I doing here.

It's funny because I recently lifted up the old carpet in my house and found loads of news paper they used as underlay from the fifties and one of the article was about South Africa and how dangerous it was even back then, it went on about how people can buy handcuff in shops, guns etc. Reading the article I realised how if I removed any reference to apartheid it honestly could have been written yesterday, "massive divides between blacks and whites, terrible poverty, high crime and fear from the opposite side" it's a real shame that after 60 odd years the country still suffers from the same problems but now has the added corruption element, sad, sad times :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon