Reply to post: Re: No point in kicking a dead dog.

US kills EU watchdog's probe into EU cops sharing EU citizens' data

Ian Michael Gumby

Re: No point in kicking a dead dog.

You bring up the IRA.

Do you realize what the Brits had done to try and combat the IRA?

There wasn't the level or ease of electronic surveillance back then as there is today.

Many of their actions won't be made public for another couple of decades still. (Or do you disagree with the Official Secrets Act too? )

Even 20 years ago, with the introduction of digital switches, the ease of which a warranted wire tap could be done that there was a change in the types and amount of surveillance that can occur.

My post was incredibly voted down by individuals who either don't understand the reality of the world we live in, or haven't thought through the consequences of the acts of Manning and Snowden.

When we talk about freedoms, the act of surveillance isn't the issue. Its how its used that becomes the issue.

I personally hate using google because of they spy on you. Same with FB. I choose not to be their product. Yet. just by using the 'net, I can't stop FB or Google from capturing data. IMHO they do more spying and data capture and retention that the government could and they are not restricted by law as to how they can use the data. So many protested the existence of PRISM, yet while the Government was bound by law and had to limit its use, the same protesters freely give more information to FB which had a greater potential to be misused. Talk about the 'God view' of Uber. Talk about a potential for being able to blackmail someone over midnight visits...

The point is that unless you've spend a bit of time thinking about the issue and the alternatives... you haven't a clue about why we need this surveillance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon