Reply to post:

Erik Meijer: AGILE must be destroyed, once and for all

Sykobee

Again, this implies that the overall aim of the project isn't actually known whilst the work is going on.

For your house building example, that's like saying "I want to build a shelter to sleep in" up front, rather than saying "I need to build a house with all the modern expectations of a house which are XYZ".

Agile doesn't mean you don't design up front for the end aim of the project. It doesn't mean you give up on good software design practices. You will analyse the needs of the Kitchen aspect of the project, and decide you need worktops, and cupboards, and you need water, and space for a fridge, oven, microwave, and power for each of them, and the ability to rearrange things, and to meet safety regulations (i.e., plug sockets, etc).

However once you've done that, you can start work on it, you don't need to have the bathroom designed (well, it needs access to the water stack in the house, etc), nor do you need the garden landscape design completed. Which is what waterfall model would require before you even started clearing the site.

And sure, the first kitchen appliance might require refactoring of the kitchen a bit (hardly knocking the house down!) ... oh, the analogy is stupid at this point.

Of course, contractor development methodology is even less restricted, although dealing with clients often means you need to be more waterfalley in terms of getting the requirements and specification done up front.

And if you truly are doing your own thing, then enjoy!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon