Reply to post: Re: Bought a Panasonic TV over Chrimbo...

About 4King time: Panasonic finally reveals voice-control Firefox OS TVs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Bought a Panasonic TV over Chrimbo...

>Maybe I'm missing something, but when I'm streaming video from my Windows 7 "server" to my iPad, I see DLNA servers for every local account on the PC. I would assume depending on which server I connected to would control what I could watch from that server.

>That's not something your TV should care about, that's a server configuration issue. Just create a DLNA TV account and set permissions accordingly.

You'd have thought that - but DLNA doesn't seem to respect folder permissions at all as it seems to effectively run as root and publishes everything it is told to index - instead you have to run multiple instances of a media server to achieve the aim, which defeats the point of folder permissions.

It makes more sense to use the credentials you log in to one media server to constrain what files can be viewed, rather than running multiple servers to do that. I want my kids to log in from the telly with their account and only see Bagpuss et al, and then I can log in from the same telly to the same server with my account and see all the rest of the stuff.

Unfortunately, DLNA doesn't do that - various forums are awash with criticism for it, but not aware of the standard moving forward in that regard, so instead I don't run a media server, but instead a network drive, and this achieves my goals but without the funky cover art.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon