Reply to post: Bah!

German minister photo fingerprint 'theft' seemed far too EASY, wail securobods

Stevie

Bah!

How is this news? There are accounts of how to forge fingerprints that go back to the time fingerprinting was still to be widely adopted as an identification technique by Scotland Yard.

Better yet, there's one account I've read from the dawn of the previous century of how to make a rubber stamp of someone's fingerprints using ... photography. Admittedly, it was wet chemical photography, which as any fule kno is a dead and forgotten art akin to Alchemy.

I remember back in the late seventies reading an account of a US sheriff having forged a fingerprint to get a conviction using Scotch tape to transfer a print from one place to another. another "well, duh!" moment for the press and criminal scientists. Any kid left alone with a reel of shiny-type Scotch tape will discover the print-lifting capabilities of the product in about a minute.

And I would have thought anyone who had used an old-style carbon fusion photocopier would have spent some time thinking about how it could be used to lift prints from the glass.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon