Reply to post: Tell the banks

Internet Explorer 12 to shed legacy cruft in bid to BEAT Chrome

Lee D Silver badge

Tell the banks

Tell the banks.

I am still waiting nervously, having finally moved my employer from using IE 7, on the decision to remove NPAPI in Google Chrome.

Pretty much, the banks only care about the things that they can get working, and who cares about security? So it's ancient IE versions, or Firefox (because we have to) or Netscape (really, it lists it in their compatibility list) and ignore everything else.

And we're not talking just a bank account. We're talking full smartcard access requiring multiple PINs and multiple people to sign off on millions of pounds of money moving around each year, and doing so every single month. And we have to do it in IE 6 because that's all the bank will support, and I have to add them to the Trusted Zone, import certificates into all the machines, install smartcard reader software that hasn't been updated in years on each one, and turn off this option and that option and unblock vast swatches of their domains for it to work.

Get the banks onto something recent, and ENFORCE THAT, and I can finally ditch IE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon