Reply to post: Re: Arguing over nothing

Frustration with Elite:Dangerous boils over into 'Refund Quest'

DavCrav

Re: Arguing over nothing

"This is the crux of the matter, isn't it? The people screaming their head off funded a kickstarter project. They did not, in any way, buy a game. They invested in the development of a game, for the incentive of a working copy of the final product which aimed to include Feature [X]. And with investment in a software project comes risks, including the fact that not all, or even none of the features you invested in become actual reality. People may not like this, and scream Entitlement all over the Intarwebs, but it still doesn't change this simple, but harsh fact."

Yes, but all so much blah isn't it? The reality is that you don't invest in the development of a game, because their reward is the same regardless of the success of the game: no investor would accept that. You are giving a company money, and in return you get a product. That's what is happening, and Kickstarter can pretend otherwise, but it looks like buying stuff, not investing. I think a court would take a dim view of the "it wasn't a purchase, it was an investment" line, in the same way as it takes a dim view of the "I didn't pay for sex, I bought this book for £100 and the saleswoman was very grateful" line. Bullshit to make the thing not look like a purchase doesn't stand up in court.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon