Reply to post: Re: Been Burned Before

Frustration with Elite:Dangerous boils over into 'Refund Quest'

dogged

Re: Been Burned Before

I just wanted to comment on the quote you've provided (regardless of attribution)

There has been a lot of uproar about this but the bottom line is that they have moved so much stuff to the servers they physically cannot produce an offline version now. All of the commodity prices, background simulation, module upgrade availability, bulletin board missions, injected events and I suspect even the NPC AI are run from the servers. *

"Background simulation" is probably an in-house term so I can't really talk about it, and "injected events" is another. On the rest though....

If commodity prices are kept on a local machine, they will be hacked. Somebody will tweak the hex values - in memory if necessary - to buy low and sell high. In a single-player game, that's irrelevant but where multiplayer is even a possibility, it's a nightmare. NPC AI and upgrades would be the same. To go offline, you'd need a complete local copy and a means of switching to online sources from context. Along with a scripted campaign and set of missions. As I understand it, much of the game is procedurally generated which complicates this.

I'm not saying it can't be done or even that it's hard. I am saying it's a whole lot of work that somebody has to pay for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon