Reply to post: Re: Complementary Worlds.

Is there ANOTHER UNIVERSE headed BACKWARDS IN TIME?

Kepler
Go

Re: Complementary Worlds.

"'Our' Big-Bang was the end-of-time for our complementary Counter-Verse."

Actually, it was the beginning for both universes and the end of neither. And it was the same Big Bang for both universes — a shared origin. The two universes simply separate from each other (temporally if not spatially*) and run in opposite temporal directions from that point on. Just like a number line with positive and negative directions and portions, intersecting at zero.

Each universe would perceive itself to be moving "forward", and would deem the other to be moving "backward" only relative to its own (the first one's) direction of temporal motion. Presumably in the other one (the one that isn't ours), positrons are what orbit most atomic nuclei, and what we call "electrons" are deemed to be "antimatter".

(The article makes no mention of the other universe being composed mainly of antimatter, but that supposition is both (1) consistent with the remarks several have made above about antimatter moving backward in time as per Feynman and Stueckelberg, and (2) a feature of the earlier two-universe hypothesis of Sokrates Pantelides that I post about below. I strongly suspect that mirror-image predominant composition is a feature of this new model from Barbour, Koslowsky and Mercati as well, and that it simply wasn't mentioned in the article.)

* The two universes would not need to be separated spatially in order to avoid interacting with each other. Even if they occupy the same space, they never interact with each other because they never occupy the same time — except at the instant of creation. Whether the duration of that instant is literally zero or the Planck time, and whether it makes a difference which of these answers is the case, I do not know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon