Reply to post:

Samsung brings out new longer-lived 1TB Flash podule for PCs, notebooks

TheRealRoland

What i see is that the Samsung Magician software allows you to run the ssd in 'rapid mode'; http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd

Looks like it's a form of ram disk, allowing the software to combine smaller write actions into bigger ones. Downside is that it's a ram disk...

The other stuff that the tool does is nothing spectacular: run a TRIM, run a benchmark, and switch between sets of OS Optimizations. These optimizations are nothing specials, just standard OS things like 'enable hibernation (for quick startup time)', Enable / Disable Search Service, etc.

When using this SSD on non-Windows platforms, i would expect it to work just the same as when running on a Windows platform without RAPID mode enabled.

EDIT: can't speak to the encryption stuff - but since there's no sticker on the box saying 'encryption for windows only' - i'm assuming this is functionality supported on other OSes.

EDIT2: but, digging a little bit deeper - three modes: bios password (assuming on the drive); TGC Opal - assuming you need this software / layer installed, then the drive is compatible with that protocol, and 'encrypted drive' has the tooltip 'Encrypted Drive feature provided by BitLocker® Drive Encryption in Windows® 8 and Windows Server® 2012.'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon