Reply to post: I think that the following is the key issue here..........

Win Server 2003 custom support: That's NOT going to be fun

Arctic fox
Headmaster

I think that the following is the key issue here..........

............"All in all, I think that the price [of support] is almost immaterial. The disadvantages of staying with this OS are so manifest that anyone staying with it is assuming a high risk for technical problems, security exposure and, in today's regulatory climate, legal exposure to both regulatory bodies and private lawsuits."

How many instances have we still got of IE6/7/8 out there for example? Where the organisation/institution/department refuses to do anything about it? Answer: Still an embarrassingly large number. I would have grave doubts about doing business with any firm that refuses to replace equipment (in this case WinS 2003) that is so out of date and frankly speaking bordering on the defective in comparison to more modern systems (whether we are talking about a modern Windows based system or a modern Linux based system). That MS is not particularly interested in continuing to support at any price such (in IT terms) ancient software as as Server 2003 is hardly surprising.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon