Reply to post:

Ford dumps Windows for QNX in new in-car entertainment unit

GitMeMyShootinIrons

The problem becomes - if not touch screens, then what?

Customers are increasingly after twiddly features - SatNav, climate control, media services etc. These all require control of some sort.

Having masses of clear, single function buttons won't cut the mustard - too many would be more distracting than a touch screen. BMW use a wheel type device (other multifunction button solutions exist too, of course) - this too is distracting as you have to scroll around masses of menus etc (I know - I've had one). Voice control simply isn't up to snuff - most struggle with the combination of ambient noise, variation in accents etc.

So, really, how much worse is touch screen than any of the above if customers want these modern functions? Voice may be the answer in the long term for input, but audio feedback is point-in-time, so only of limited use (you don't have an audio output telling you speed). Like voice control, head up display is in it's early days, but a combination might work for some functions - but you don't want surplus stuff like air con splashed across the windscreen.

I'd also say a touch screen satnav on the dashboard is a heck of alot safer than a road atlas on the lap - and this was alarmingly common once.

I almost sympathize with car manufacturers trying to balance the wants/needs of the consumer with functionality and safety.

Bring on the neural interface!!!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon