Reply to post: Re: If anythingAnd Everyything@yourdomain.co.uk is forwarded spam?

Plusnet customers SWAMPED by spam but BT-owned ISP dismisses data breach claims

TrevMo

Re: If anythingAnd Everyything@yourdomain.co.uk is forwarded spam?

Well, after 15 years of using the same catchall/domain, I actually get very few such emails. The vast majority of the spam I get (and really there isn't much) is to specific addresses identifiable as having been leaked by some company or other.

Anyway, firstly the base address I have (anything@my-domain.com) is never used. Anything that comes directly to my-domain.com is spam and is filtered first.The catch-all is of the format anything@my-account.my-domain.com. That is a harder one for spammers to randomly generate stuff for, because they won't know the my-account bit to add on to the domain.

That said, I do get occasional emails like that, likely from spam lists taking one of my compromised addresses and changing the prefix to something random. Perhaps a few every month, usually in a short burst. Again, these are easy to spot because they will not be filtered into a specific folder and instead will land in the (rarely used) general inbox. I just delete them.

So, it's easy, provided one is careful with one's email address in the first place, which I have been. My wife, on the other hand, was not so careful and was receiving hundreds per day to her account before I closed it.

I've just checked my trash folder (last did about a week ago) and there are only 72 entries, mostly ones I recognise as knowlingly compromised as mentioned first above. For an email I've used for 15 years, and given to hundreds of people and companies, that's not bad going.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon