Reply to post: Re: is it not easier

A nation of CODERS? Yes, says UK.gov, and have some cash to do it

DavCrav

Re: is it not easier

"23k is very nearly the UK annual average full time wage. So the graduate gets that, plus a gold plated pension, a job for life or as near as still exists, plus what amounts to a hell of a lot of holidays. I'm not saying they don't work hard for it, (my teachers certainly did ;-) but it is already a good wage in most of the country."

I'm going to guess you didn't get a first-class degree in mathematics, or certainly statistics. You should be comparing the £23k to the median wage among people who possess first-class degrees in maths or physics. Now it looks a lot worse. The pension is quite good, yes, worth a couple of grand a year, so let's say £25k. The holidays are not too good, actually. You spend half of them writing lesson plans. And they don't really compensate for the evenings and weekends that you lose during term. Just for extra kicks, when you do get your holiday from work any flights and hotel you might want to book to get away from things is really expensive because that's when other people take their holidays. Throw in disruptive little bastards and their dickish parents (strangely there's a correlation between the two) and it's a horrible job.

And no, I'm not a teacher. Neither is my partner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon