Reply to post: Re: Some gaps

Which country has 2nd largest social welfare system in the world?

Naselus

Re: Some gaps

A few problems with your 'number of problems' (none of which you saw fit to cite sources for, possibly because you don't have any).

On 'household size has declined'... I think you may have your decades in a bit of a muddle. It's 2015 now, not 2000. Household size since 1991 pretty much stable at just over 2.4 people. The decline in size is a phenomenon of the 1970s (as the baby boomers began to set up homes for themselves). See page 2 of file:///H:/st39ch0_tcm77-219077.pdf

Secondly, the statistic uses PPP to determine income... so the value of health care and pension contributions remains stable, since they're paying for the exact same thing they were 30 years ago. That the price of services taken in addition to wages has risen has no impact, since rising prices are kind of the point of the whole measurement.

Your third point can't really be argued with, since it contains no argument. It's just a totally unsupported statement that you don't like the math, without outlining any reasons why. One could equally say that there's something a bit hinky about the stats you presented in this article. Of course, there's no need to, since it's easy enough to come up with half a dozen good reasons why the article is nonsense - not least that it hinges on the idea that spending more money on something automatically means it's better. I'm fairly certain that if the findings showed the US at the bottom of the spending list rather than the top, you'd still conclude the US system is working better because it's kept costs down.

I look forward to next week's paper on why the Spartan Hoplite regiment was objectively a better fighting force than the modern US air force, because the Spartans spent a higher percentage of their GDP on it that the US does.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022