Reply to post: Where can I sign up for an e-mail account?

MEPs want 'unbiased search', whatever that is – they're not sure either

thebertster

Where can I sign up for an e-mail account?

Just an observation in response to @oninoshiko:

Right now, if I actually search Google for the phrase you suggested in your comment, Microsoft and Hushmail are the top results (depending on whether you spell "e-mail" with a hyphen or not). GMail (well Google account signup) is fourth or fifth. That's in the actual search results. The right-hand ads sidebar has GMail at the top...but that is not the search result.

Bing gives the same results (Microsoft top of the search list, Google top in the ads list and third in the actual search results).

Yahoo! pretty much the same.

DuckDuckGo also has Microsoft at the top, but in the guise of a "for dummies" guide to creating an e-mail account. The actual Microsoft sign-up page is third and the Google account sign-up page is the 22nd result (which makes me wonder if there is a negative bias going on with those guys).

So that's convinced me. Microsoft is clearly the best place to sign up for an e-mail account!

I'm convinced. I'm going to sign up for a Microsoft account; four search engines can't be wrong. MEPs on the other hand can be VERY wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon