Reply to post: Re: zootle zootle Peter Campbell asdf mousepads...

We have a winner! Fresh Linux Mint 17.1 – hands down the best

zootle

Re: zootle zootle Peter Campbell asdf mousepads...

You appear to have little or no experience with ZFS storage and more than a little difficulty with reading comprehension. What part of "I've built a number of systems with RAID controllers that can't do JBOD (the Dell PERC 710 in particular). The virtual devices just appear to the OS as drives." didn't you see? All ZFS features work on RAID volumes.

At no point did I claim ZFS has no management overhead, only that ZFS+hardware RAID adds an extra unnecessary layer. I see you cite old problems with a core duo 2 system that probably cost less than a RAID capable HBA and way less than one with a decent cache. How much memory do your hardware RAID systems use for deduplication?

If you want ZFS in production, use Solaris, Illumos or BSD. All of the commercial storage vendors use one of these.

Oracle fits hardware RAID cards so they can sell to users of operating systems that need them (Windows!).

All of my vital write data is safe and sound in the power protected log devices.... and yes, the power protection cam free with the Intel SSDs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon