Reply to post: Re: FreeBSD for servers

Docker: Sorry, you're just going to have to learn about it. Today we begin

Tom 38

Re: FreeBSD for servers

I'm a huge FreeBSD advocate, I run it at home, on my desktop, on my PVR, on my firewall, on my laptop, and on 800+ servers at work, where we heavily use FreeBSD jails.

We're ditching it at work :(

The main reason is that it's not possible to find sysadmin with good enough FreeBSD experience (well, with "any" FreeBSD experience tbh), and the Linux sysadmins we do hire do not like working with FreeBSD, find it difficult to update and maintain the machines - anything that goes wrong ever, they just shrug and say "oh its BSD".

However, the next biggest reason is that FreeBSD jails don't provide enough resource limitation technologies (see my post above), and so frequently you can have one poorly running application negatively affecting all the others.

Our new platform is Linux (Centos) + KVM, deploying a single application to a single VM. Docker (currently) seems to have most of the issues that jails have, but perhaps a combination of the two will be in my future, using docker to deploy multiple applications to a single VM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon