Reply to post:

Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray

Sean OConnor

I'm sure Unity is amazing but I'm wary of committing to one technology like that. I write my games now so all the game and user interface code is device independent, and there's just a tiny bit of device specific code that does nothing more than start the app and send screen taps and timer ticks to my device independent code, and knows how to load and draw a PNG.

I've been selling my games since 1994 and I don't want to hit a dead end. Who knows if something will better Unity in 10 years time and Unity will stop being developed? I'm banking on C++ still being around when I come to retire in 20+ years time and I'll just keep porting my games to whatever device(s) are popular over the coming years.

If MS could make a simple way of doing that small amount of device specific stuff I need I could start porting for their AppStore tomorrow. But maybe they've given up caring and they're relying on Unity now cos there aren't many old fart programers like me left?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon