Reply to post: Argument is fundamentally misguided

The gender imbalance in IT is real, ongoing and ridiculous

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Argument is fundamentally misguided

Has anybody thought about what a disgustingly chauvinistic point of view these sorts of articles exhibit?

"Oooh, our male-dominated field is obviously so amazing that of course everybody would naturally want to be a part of it, but us males have so much control over the world and how people are raised and educated that we are (intentionally or unintentionally) preventing poor, helpless womenfolk from becoming a part of it."

Right. Imagine a bunch of high-school nerds in a corner with pocket protectors and taped-together glasses, discussing how sorry they feel for girls who don't want to join their chess club. Because that sad-sack situation is exactly what all this gender-equality-in-IT hand-wringing boils down to.

Maybe instead of trying to pull girls down into our social strata, we should be trying to figure out how to get into theirs. Lord knows as soon as I tell anybody at a party that I'm in IT, they stop talking to me almost immediately (which is why I stopped telling people years ago). I wouldn't wish that fate on the women I know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon