Reply to post: WoD is one of the best Expansions to date

World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor

Moosh
Happy

WoD is one of the best Expansions to date

While it is entirely probably that yes, the B team is now working on WoW, the Warlords expansion, despite its god awful launch (it wasn't playable for the first few days and it took about a week for garrison functionality to actually work reliably for most people) feels like the most "warcraft" expansion since Wrath of the Lich King. The new character models are a vast improvement, and Blizzard are still managing to tune their art style so that the utterly lacklustre resolutions and tech specs still look good even compared to more high end releases.

I have had the most fun questing and levelling out of any expansion to date. And thanks to the implementation of Timeless Isle style rares, group dailies, mega HP easy to farm "rares", 100% guaranteed mount drop Timeless Proto Drake style rares, et al, there is a genuine spark of community being reignited. Go over to Nagrand and you constantly see people reporting on rares being up or asking for groups for quests and such. People seem to have started actually talking in dungeons again (especially in the redesigned UBRS), and even some building specific garrison building achievements (such as mount in training kills with the garn tooth necklace) promote grouping, and the absence of flying mounts means you actually encounter people when you're out and about in the game world now.

That said, there are some massive negatives. Firstly, the Garrison is the antithesis of community. It is an instanced city that you and you alone inhabit.

Secondly, EVERYTHING is gated now. Professions have been completely neutered.

Other than that, it's very enjoyable, and I even quite liked the tuned for 100 40 man MC LFR event (once I found a group that wasn't full of morons).

I'd say it's my favourite expansion yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon