Reply to post: Mint 17 here

We have a winner! Fresh Linux Mint 17.1 – hands down the best

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Mint 17 here

I switched from Fedora to Mint 17 a couple of weeks ago, mostly out of curiosity, and I kept it. Gnome 3 is so dumbed-down that it almost defeated the purpose of running Linux on a desktop. Cinnamon is much more configurable, and strangely even more stable from my experience.

All of my hardware worked out of the box, including rather very uncommon devices like the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 USB "soundcard". Installing drivers for NVidia's GTX 780 Ti wasn't a problem either, even their latest ones (Mint's bundled versions are slightly outdated, though not too old).

The only gripe I had with Mint is the poor installer. It's good enough for the normal user, no doubt, but for a bit more advanced setups (like encryption on top of a RAID, to name one), it's insufficient.

That said, the live CD has all the tools on board to tweak the installation manually, which is acceptable for a task which I don't plan to repeat any time soon. :)

I did have the odd freeze on Fedora, and Mint seemed to suffer the same problem initially, but an update to the latest Kernel from the Ubuntu PPA's fixed that, and it's been rock-solid since. (I still haven't quite grasped the reasoning behind Mint's policy of being way behind with Kernel updates)

All in all, great system for the desktop. Still wouldn't have anything Ubuntu-related on a server, but that's a different story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon