Reply to post: Re: Hidden partitions

USB coding anarchy: Consider all sticks licked

Michael Habel

Re: Hidden partitions

Isn't the hidden partition where the device drivers are stored (that Windows insist on installing every time you plug your USB device into a different slot, until all slots have been utilised)?

I have found that if you delete the hidden partition on a USB drive, Windows insist on scanning and fixing the "problem" ("Do you want to scan and fix Removable Disk (Whatever letter it decided to assign:)? There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc." Yadda yadda...) before you can use it. Skipping it, however, allows you to use the device.

Most annoying.

----------------> Windows, mostly - not your comment. For once I suffered from a surfeit of icons to choose from. Weird.

Is this really true? It could go a ways to explaining why everything USB, (MicroSD, USB Thumbdrives), that has ever touched (or has been formatted under), Android / Linux, are coming back to Windows 7 x86-64. With this really annoying question. I wonder if this um... Feature was the One responsible for trashing my what was then... a very expensive 32GB MicroSD Card...

Luckily, I was able to get it replaced under warranty. I never knew those things were guaranteed for up to Ten Years though. Since I already had it well over a Year, by then. But, that was pretty much how it all started. So I don't even bother trying to um... "Fix it" anymore. And on those few brief times when I mis-click on it... The actual "Fix" seems to do NOTHING! As the same Error will pop-up again afterwards.

About the only "Fix" I've found was to reformat said Device under Windows, and only use it on Windows. The Second the Android/ Folder is created on such a Device its like a license to Screen-print that Error Message...

Now I have something to do on my break!

thx!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon