Reply to post: Re: MS, please help me understand

Patch NOW! Microsoft slings emergency bug fix at Windows admins

Kiwi

Re: MS, please help me understand

Besides, no 3/6/9/15 or whatever reboots required, except for a select few packages - certainly NOT for userland stuff, and never for browser, productivity suites, calculator, clock.exe

Actually, it's never more than one reboot IME (several distros over the years), and no 40+minute shutdown followed by a 40+minute start to do them.

WTF is up with 7 atm? We've had a number of customers complaining about massively long shut down and restart times while updates are done, day after day after day (have seen one 7 machine that has done over 100 updates (many "important") in the 24hrs it's been here - and the customer has automatic updates fully on!). While I'm in mini-rant mode.. Why the hell do updates stop to wait for further confirmation that you want to continue, like stopping part way with a "Do you really want to update this program" when I already selected the update?

Bout time MS learned something about usability of computers. Still, their updates are helping win people over the the Blessed Light Side :)

Love the Linux world. Updates all done in the background. At most one reboot, only if critical core stuff udpated. No slow shutdown or startup.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon