Reply to post: Pink

Useless 'computer engineer' Barbie fired in three-way fsck row

Chris G

Pink

"We believe girls should be empowered to understand that anything is possible and believe they live in a world without limits."

And some of them are smart and can achieve whatever they want by hard work and using their brains; others can achieve what ever they want by using their brains and realising they also have good looks and can include those as part of their success strategy.

A good friend of mine had a very blonde 'enhanced' girlfriend for a few years she was no Einstein and knew it, she wasn't stupid either and knew that looks and the willingness to be arm and eye candy was a skill that could help her to achieve things, a nice girl and still a friend of mine. Everything she could get in pink she would buy including her wardrobe to keep her pink clothes in. Also liked Hello Kitty ( preferably in pink).

Often appearance is almost as important as skills in getting a job, there is nothing wrong in teaching that being a software/hardware engineer or as my very pretty feminine step daughter was for a while a motorcycle mechanic but giving girls the impression that they must achieve is as bad as telling them they mustn't. All kids should be encouraged to try things and give them support in those things they show interest in.

Better to teach all kids (Girls and boys equally) to 'Be the best you can', believing you live in a world where anything is possible and without limits is going to make a lot of people disappointed when they don't achieve much because they have limits.

Regarding IT as has been mentioned many times here before, to get girls or many boys interested, make the teaching interesting not teaching by rote from teachers who are not interested in the subject.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon