Reply to post: I'm not convinced that airfyers are all that much safer -

Post-pub nosh neckfiller: The MIGHTY Scotch egg

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'm not convinced that airfyers are all that much safer -

Plenty of reports of them turning nasty when the fan packs up.

Anyway, seen some special scotch eggs in supermarkets with pork and apple in the mix. Also a nice crunchy coating, which I'd guess is made from crushed corn flakes. Tasty, though sadly not in a fresh-home-made still-warm sort of way.

As for American sausages claiming to be 'all meat', I've seen the expression heavily abused as there'll be ground meat in there, but a disproportionate amount of fat added later. In traditional dried sausage-making it's added (a) as a preservative (b) for calories for trail food and (c) no other bugger wants to eat it, but for frying sausages it's a con.

I know of putting rusk or breadcrumbs into burgers to absorb the flavoursome fat, but I'd have thought it's not so vital with sausages, which have a skin to do that. And as for criticising British sausages for such practices, a lot worse seems to go on on the continent, where so many 'regional specialities' were actually developed using all sorts of produce as filler and flavour to overcome a basic poverty of meat. British sausages were known for containing too much water (why they're called 'bangers' when fried - they could explode), but no-one accepts that any more and any decent butcher will let them hang for a bit to dry and shrink slightly.

As for snacks, I hope it's already on the list, but a Pork Pita Gyros has got to be tried.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon