Reply to post: Re: There's something to vinyl... Don't know what though

VINYL is BACK and you can thank Sonos for that

Psyx

Re: There's something to vinyl... Don't know what though

"I think Vinyl makes you lisiten more, with digital, you can flick 'next' way to easily at the slightest glint of risng boredom, with vinyl, you've gone to all the effort..."

It does. On albums, the length of a side is about the same as the average attention span. CDs are 2-3 times that length, without a break. That means they tend to become more of a background noise.

As regards singles, those too are a great occupier of time, as one needs to consider the next track pretty much straight away, and you can't stray far from the player if you want uninterrupted music. It keeps your mind on the music and in close physical proximity to the source. 'Listening to music' on 45s is something that requires nearly all of one's attention. I believe that CDs diminished the passtime: You put them on, and all-too-easily get distracted by other things. 'Listening to music' as a hobby was a dying art.

BUT: Youtube has rather revived the art, to my mind. I haven't sat with a mate playing 45s for years, but I do sit around on Youtube with friends, listening to music all night. You play something and then start thinking about the next track, like back in the day. I really think that the service has done a lot for 'listening to music' as a hobby, as well as reviving the occupation of finding new music via friends playing you the single.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon