Reply to post: Re: Yeah, right

SCREW YOU, net neutrality hippies – AT&T halts gigabit fiber

Anonymous Coward
Stop

Re: Yeah, right

Except that AT&T is rich, quite well understood and now that it is no longer Ma Bell, not very highly regulated....

I have no problems with the cable companies/telcos/ISPs/unholy trinity of all of the above varying charges to end users for higher or lower bandwidth packages, I think it's very fair to charge Mr. "Can't live without my Netflix and Hulu 24 hours a day" for a higher bandwidth package if he wants to assure solid delivery of his streaming video. However, I have a serious problem with open favoritism to certain packet streams based on whether their provider paid for "the fast lane".

Give me internet access, and let me decide what I want to look at. If I want a cheap, low bandwidth package but all of a sudden I want to stream the all the NCAA basketball March Madness games, well, that's my problem. Likewise, I may want to high bandwidth package and I am willing to pay my fair share for the upgraded fiber capacity to support that demand.

And I agree with the above sentiments that AT&T always talks about gigabit fiber, and always finds a reason to delay it. Right now, its the ISP service equivalent of Bigfoot or Nessie.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon