Reply to post:

Behold the Lumia 535 NOTkia: Microsoft wipes Nokia brand from mobes

danXtrate

Does it really matter in this day and age what platform you use as a home user? Unless you are a serious mobile gamer (the term made me smile as I typed it) or install and test apps each day after going through the morning read of the pseudo techo consumer websites that proclamate themselves as "the bible" it makes little difference if you use Android, iOS or WinPho in their latest versions.

I personally find iPhones nice devices and have the utmost respect for Apple for being able to keep up the Jobsian hype while literally herding fanbois to Apple stores with each release. I'll never pay the insane prices they ask for but good for them they still have a large loyal fanbase.

Android is a different story. Since it's available to so many suppliers, many of them botch the customization and really mess up marketing wize. Look at Sony, HTC and Samsung. I've used great high end phones from all of them but I always found myself rooting and installing custom firmware because of lack of support and crapware I couldn't get rid of. The best Android experience I've ever had was a Moto G with bog standard Android. Nexus devices aren't sold by Google in my are and are kind of expensive.

WinPho is great for business use, where you just need a fast interface for even low end devices, integration with the software infrastructure (and MS has a rock solid foothold there) in a secure and manageable way and decent to great battery life. As a consumer I am impressed with what WinPho can do with few hardware resources, which is actually a first for Microsoft, the ease of use even for first time smartphone users and the quality and snappiness of even low end devices.

I'm a technical guy by trade and my next phone will be OnePlus One, but both my girlfriend and my mother use Lumia phones and they couldn't care less they don't have a full file browser. They care that the phones are fast, get good battery life, have facebook, twitter, onedrive, skype and lightweight games and full office editor. The 535 dual sim is in my sights as a christmas present for at least one of them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon