Reply to post: Re: I'm not with stupid

Virgin Media CUTS OFF weekend 'net surfers after embarrassing smut-filtering snafu

Glen 1

Re: I'm not with stupid

Downvote explanation:

"waste money importing a censorship system"

Cameron basically said to the big four ISPs (BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin) that if they don't implement censorship, the gov will legislate for it. While pointing at a consultation survey to say there was a demand.

Example question (paraphrased from consultation survey):

"Should everyone have their internet connection censored, or just people who live with children?"

This legislation was rejected by the Lib Dems. Labour has said they would introduce a mandotry BBFC style system. Don't blame VM for scummy censorship when it's our political masters who made the decision (or implied menacingly that they would).

Source (with citations)

"Openreach don't even see inside your packets"

As you know, Openreach is not a consumer ISP. It's the companies that buy services from Openreach that are introducing the filters. Such as (i dunno hmmmm let me think) BT, Sky and Talk Talk.

From Wiki article:"Default filtering of existing customers will be implemented by all four major ISPs during 2014 with the aim of ensuring that the system applies to 95% of all households by the end of the year"

"spam customers to arm-twist them into using it"

I have recieved precisely 2 emails on the subject. One with the announcment, and one with the big ON/OFF buttons. Hardly arm twisting.

"force it on everyone by mistake anyway"

It is not by mistake. It is part of the threatened law. Again, that is not VMs fault. (looks meaningfully at Tory voters). If you've not turned it off from the email, it can be turned off via the ISP dashboard (under my apps->web safe).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon