Reply to post: What about spying on you?

Remember Palm's WebOS? LG does – check out its smart TVs

SpamBot

What about spying on you?

Does this TV still spy on you?

My current LG recently upgraded it's firmware and offered me a EULA that basically turns off all the "smart" features unless I agree that the TV sends all my viewing data to LG, and LG can send it outside the EU and do what it likes with that data. The data it collects includes the filenames of files played from my internal network, so names of kids if they're in the filename etc etc.

Of course there is no way to downgrade the firmware, and there was no warning of the change in EULA BEFORE the upgrade happened.

I could go to court but that will cost me more than the TV did...

(& before anyone says yes but every website does the same, there are ways I can stop/block websites, and the websites haven't taken my money up front for a premium product and then changed the deal after I've parted with -a lot- of my cash. Changing the terms post purchase *IS* against the law in UK, but of course despite many reports, including one from Which, the regulator/government in UK does nothing to actually protect citizens).

At least I have the knowledge to packet sniff my TV and block the addresses of the LG spy sites, but lots of other people probably don't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon