Reply to post: Re: Speaking as a Linux user

Can you really run your business on a smartphone?

Stuart 22

Re: Speaking as a Linux user

"Android is not suitable to use for business. It just isn't. The email client is crap."

I find K-9 onto our own IMAP server perfectly adequate. Everything is where it should be whether on desktop or smartphone.

My management style was foundered on "Up the organisation" by the guy who brought back Avis from the dead. No secretaries, no writing - just annotations to stuff received and sent back - so email is the creation medium. Otherwise its the Cloud - in our case ownCloud on our own servers which has a useful Android client. So all Linux - no paid licences or ceded control to anyone and we can do precisely what we want ;-)

The hardest bit is SysAdmin-ing. When WHM/CP is inadequate and you are SSH-ing in to sort our stuff at command level all the escape and ctrl functions are available via connectbot and hackers keyboard but they are a pain.

I find it a great discipline controlling my organisation and clients on a day out from a smartphone. Trouble is - its too much like hard work to type out witty and withering replies on the Register Forums. So I don't. Or as some downvoters have noted, I can't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon