Reply to post: Read the small print

Hold onto your hats and follow the BYOD generation

Number6

Read the small print

I got a new Android phone and went to set up work email on it. All well and good, got the Office365 details and start the process. No problem until I got to the list of things I had to allow the app to do in order to access the system, including but not limited to a factory wipe, preventing use of other IMAP or POP3 services and many more. So I don't have access to work email on my personal phone because I chose not to agree to all of that. I can fully understand why they want to be able to do it, and at least the system is set up so I get asked, rather than have it as a nasty surprise sometime in the future.

At the moment my 'social' stuff at work is done using a virtual machine with a VPN to an external endpoint, so it doesn't interact more than the minimum necessary with the corporate network and I assume that IT are OK with the VPN because they let it through the firewall (nothing in the IT policy says I can't do it). The side benefit is that I bypass any proxy or monitoring they might have in place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon