Reply to post: Re: Cheap dig

Russians hear Tim Cook is gay, pull dead Steve Jobs' enormous erection

dan1980

Re: Cheap dig

@FreemonSandlewould

Putting aside much of what you have said to keep this response brief (something I am not known for), there is a crucial, fundamental difference here that you are not getting - possibly deliberately

That is that there is, in society at large, the assumption that people are heterosexual and when it is suspect that someone with a public profile is not heterosexual, there are whispers and rumours and innuendo - the word 'sausage', for instance.

Ignoring my own goal of keeping this brief, please explain how getting up and saying that yes, you are gay and you want to tell young people who are gay and might be having difficulties that they can accomplish anything they want1 can in anyway be described as slapping the world across the face with his 'sausage'?

You don't get up and put to rest your sexuality because there is no need - you are in the majority and no one is talking behind your back snickering at you and your 'straight' ways. No one asks you if you're bringing your husband along to the Christmas party or tells you that you need to find a nice boy to settle down with because they don't assume you're homosexual.

My partner is afraid of spiders. "I don't mind them as long as they don't come anywhere near me" is the common line. There is no room big enough for the two of them to share - if one is in our bedroom or lounge room or hall, it has to go. Not killed - nothing so cruel - but gone, otherwise who knows what they might do.

You, sir, are afraid of homosexuals. You don't want them hurt or killed, of course, and they are free to live as they please, but just make sure you don't have to see them or hear about them. You say you "don't care" but you are lying - to yourself.

It's indicative that you view this as having gay people 'force[d]' on you - as though a person standing up and saying that he is gay someone places any obligation on you, except to leave him to live his life. He's not asking for your permission; he's giving support to other gay people the same way a black sports star might go back to his community2 and talk to the kids, telling them to stay in school and believe in themselves and to not let other people tell them they're not good enough to pursue their dreams.

Your comments just show everyone how threatened you feel.

1 - Just the way women have been saying exactly the same to young girls.

2 - I use this not to say that white people are CEOs and black people are only good for physical activity, but simply because I am Australian and our heroes are, mostly, people good a kicking or hitting balls around and it's a big thing here for young Indigenous and Islander footballers to visit their communities as inspiration and support for the young kids there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon