Reply to post:

Planning to fly? Pour out your shampoo, toss your scissors, rename terrorist Wi-fi!

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

You don't want it to be true, because it doesn't fit your world view, but it is nontheless, completely true.

It is true because it is backed with facts.

Even you must realise you've gone wrong already, right?

I acknowledge that Wikipedia is not an authoritative source. If you are that concerned about accuracy, please go and find the source of the statistics quoted there, and show me how these differ.

So your numbers, which are 3 years out of date, take account of exactly zero illegal immigrants - the LSE think this is between 500,000 and 1,000,000 people. And you still don't see why that makes them garbage? The ONS shows that 60% of the birth rate for London is to foreign born mothers. Even taking the lefty view that being born here is all you need ever do to "be English", you must see that the tide is against you?

The figures I gave are the ones available - those taken at the last census.

The LSE figures state, "undocumented migrants oscillate between 417,000 and 863,000". These are figures for the whole of the UK, which has a total population of 64 million, so these account for maybe 1% of the population. I see no reason to believe they are any more concentrated in London than anywhere else, particularly since it is more expensive to survive in London than the rest of the UK.

Even if 'foreign born mothers' have been breeding like the proverbial rabbits in the three years since the census, this is going to only affect the figures by a few percent at best.

Jesus was born in a stable, but he wasn't born a horse, nor was he feted as a derby winner. So being born here isn't enough to be raised with English values.

Jesus (if he existed), also was not a man made of straw. Your argument is both a straw-man and a complete nonsequitur; the one thing (even though it is nonsense) does not lead onto the other.

Has it not occurred to you yet that the reason for their storming the polls is the naieve, pseudo-liberal, pro-immigration ranting of people like yourself, dancing up and down as soon as anyone dare voice a view that is not your own?

I didn't claim to be pro-immigration. I simply questioned the veracity of those things you presented as facts. Which aren't. The rest of this particular argument of yours is pure ad hominem attack and does nothing to strengthen your argument.

If you re-read my statement, I also didn't claim that you vote UKIP. I claimed that hostility towards foreign visitors is drummed up by people like those in UKIP.

I also don't read the Guardian, except for occasionally Charlie Brooker's column which is very entertaining. In general, I find most newspapers to be presenting one political opinion, or another, as fact, so I avoid reading them, and try to find news reporting that is as impartial as possible, often from more than one source to filter out the bias.

Now you're just lying. At best, only to us; At worst, to yourself as well.

Really? I'm lying about what my opinion is? Thanks very much for telling me what I really think. You are free to disagree with me, but calling me a liar just makes you a liar yourself.

And before you start screaming racist, because I can sense you're about to, neither I nor any of my friends have married English people. We've all married foreign nationals. Their world view and values are not the same as the English.

Wow, you can really tell what I'm about to say? Well then, you must be psychic too! I wasn't actually going to call you a racist, as I don't believe mud-slinging is necessary in a civilised discussion. However, since you brought it up:

You clearly think that anyone who is not English should be somehow less entitled to live here in the UK, whether they are legally entitled to or not (just as UK citizens are legally entitled to live in the rest of Europe, as many do). This implies that you think foreign nationals are less deserving than British ones, which implies that you think they are in some way lesser. This, I am afraid to say, does make you a racist. The fact that you have married a foreign national does not actually have any relevance in this matter. Nigel Farage's wife is German, but several UKIP members hold very unpleasant opinions towards foreign nationals (as well as women).

If you remove the English from England, what do you really have left? And should you really be suprised if the values of what remains differ from those that went before them? You can't have English courage without English people, and London just doesn't have enough to English left to "Keep calm and carry on".

You are aware, are you not, that Britain is entirely composed of immigrants? What you define as 'English' is a various amalgam of Saxon, Norman, Viking, French, etc. cultures. Our language is so difficult for non-native speakers to learn because it is so irregular, being made up of an amalgam of so many different sources. London has always been a trading city, with a large transient population. Nothing has really changed, except the gradual downward spiral of people's racist opinions in this country.

It started off in the '90s with talk of 'illegal immigrants' - the figures for which have always been inflated by the right wing press to bolster their viewpoint. I'm fairly widely travelled, and I've still never met one. Other countries in Europe have much larger problems with these (such as the flood of refugees coming across the Turkish border into Eastern Greece). There is a real problem of what is now called 'people smuggling', where people are essentially smuggled here and sold into slavery as sex workers, or in 'hand car washes' and nail bars, and the police, at least where I live, do a very good job trying to tackle it with increasingly limited resources. This is where the real problem lies, which the politicians and right-wing press seem to be unconcerned with.

These days, the hatred seems to have turned towards those legally entitled to be here; I can see no other word for this other than racism. I personally know several EU citizens living and working here in the UK, just as I know several UK citizens living and working abroad in the EU. Nobody seems to be talking about the UK citizens going to Ireland to claim the (more generous) dole there, but it happens. A lot.

At the end of the day, people are people. In broad terms, there are good people and bad people. If you claim that there is a correlation such that English = good and foreign = bad, then you are wrong.

So what I would suggest, is that rather than repeating whatever you have read in the right-wing (or left-wing for that matter) press without filtering it through your brain first, stop. Think. Observe. Gather facts. Base your opinions on those, not on the opinions of others. Taking what you are told at face value just makes you an idiot, and someone else's puppet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon