Reply to post: New laptop. Commentards, lend me your opinions.

New laptop. Commentards, lend me your opinions.

fearnothing

New laptop. Commentards, lend me your opinions.

So folks, the time has come for me to get a new laptop. My 2009 13" MBP is, while still reasonably operable, feeling the weight of its years and I have a nice job which enables me to afford shiny new gear. However, I am not a fanboi and so I am considering the possibility that non-fruity machines may suit my needs. I would like to hear your opinions (please keep the fighting below 110 decibels).

My requirements:

- It will be used primarily for leisure, mostly web browsing, netflix, music. Gaming is done on my desktop.

- I also write some code - mainly python and bash, and it would be useful to be able to run a VM or two.

- I value reliability, performance and build quality

- I have experienced the magic that is flash storage, and it is good.

- Reasonably portable. 15" machines would only be acceptable if comparatively light.

- I am exceptionally attached to the quality of the trackpad and useful related features like hot corners. I haven't yet encountered another manufacturer's offering that compares, though the HP elitebook is pretty nice.

- I am not opposed to Linux per se, but I run a home lab with several penguin-flavoured VMs which fulfill my need for the power and versatility; comfort is more important for this system.

My budget:

- Currently considering things around the £1,000 to £1,200 mark. Higher would be possible but I would have to wait another month or so.

Other concerns:

- I am currently working in Belgium so availability there is preferred. If there was a good offer in the UK I could ship it to family and collect when I visited, however.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon