Reply to post: Re: Nuclear

Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN

chris lively

Re: Nuclear

>>But I have another question would the change in the sun effect the earth's climate to increase the temperature?

When the sun, as our primary warming mechanism, experiences changes then those changes obviously show up on Earth.

In the case of reduced sun spot activity then we are talking about a long term *decrease* in Earth temperatures. Each of the known low sunspot activity events (Sporer, Maunder and Dalton) coincide with colder periods.

That said, climate is extremely complex. We are receiving less energy from the sun, which results in cooler temps. We are also seeing the oceans absorb quite a bit of energy, again, reducing the temps. Meanwhile our ability to retain the energy that does get here is increasing, which raises the temp. I'm not sure what the net result is going to be over the short term - my guess is fairly static temps.

However, at some point the oceans will start emitting that stored heat and sunspots will show up again. If we haven't solved the heat retention problem at that point then we'll cook.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon