Reply to post: Re: 400 feet rule

A drone of one's own: Reg buyers' guide for UAV fanciers

stu 4

Re: 400 feet rule

FPV does yes - and if FPV then you are under 722 for sure - therefore 400 feet maximum.

But as I say, still not safe from colliding with 'real' aircraft was my point.

If you are not flying in an autonomous mode, and not flying 'remotely' (which I interpret as FPV), then I interpret 722 as not applying at all -since it only applies to 'UAS's which are defined as

-remoted piloted or autonomous aircraft.

FPV org has a similar view to me:

http://www.fpvuk.org/fpv-law/

So you have 393 to adhere too. So you've got to stay 50m away from other people.

But if you have eyes like a hawk and want to fly up to 2500 feet (which i did a few weeks ago) with your quadcopter - provided you DONT fly FPV, and DONT let it fly autonomously, this is within the law of CAP393 I believe since CAP393 specifies no maximum AGL - simply that the operator must be able to clearly be able to see the aircraft 'visual line of sight' to control it.

I mean, yer not gonna make a habit of it probably - so just an anal point really.

The main thing is dispelling this 'you don't need to worry about aircraft below 400 feet' rumour.

Also stating the obvious - that you are subject to exactly the same airlaw as any other aircraft - and therefore if you live in an area which has no CLASS G airspace, then I believe you will be breaking the law flying ? i.e. this would include london in it's entirety.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon